A few weeks ago (I’m a little behind…), Rosie from La Grenouille Anglaise nominated me for my first ever award – the Sunshine Blogger Award (thanks, Rosie!). It’s an award given to bloggers by other bloggers who “are positive and creatively inspire others in the blogosphere.” I’m so honored that I can inspire others…that was really my main reason for starting this blog! If you have a chance, head on over to her blog for some beautiful photos and fun adventure stories.
Rules of the Sunshine Blogger Award:
- Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog.
- Answer the eleven questions set by the person who nominated you.
- Nominate eleven other blogs and give them eleven questions to answer.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post.
My answers to Rosie’s Questions:
1. Wilderness or civilisation?
Definitely wilderness. I grew up in a reasonably small town, and I could never live in a big city. There’s no bigger waste of time than sitting in traffic. That being said, I’ve realized that I enjoy occasionally spending a day or two exploring a city.
2. What was your favourite childhood game?
Oh gosh, like a board game? I have no clue! I’ve always liked word games, though. And road trip games. At the beginning of a roadtrip, we would all always guess how many different state license plates we were going to see. We’d look for them the whole trip, and at the end, whoever was closest won. To be honest…we still play that game today. It’s become tradition.
3. If you were offered a free flight to a place of your choosing, where would you go?
Iceland. No contest. It’s at the top of my travel list.
4. What is your favourite thing to bake/cook?
Desserts – cookies, brownies, rocky road bars…nobody ever asks me to cook for any occasion. It’s always “Diana, can you bring a dessert?”
5. Bourbons or custard creams?
I actually don’t know what either of these are. I don’t like bourbon, though, and I’m lactose intolerant so I can’t eat custard…so I’m gonna have to go with neither.
6. Can you speak any foreign languages? If so, which?
I speak a bit of Spanish, though I understand much more than I speak. One day, I’ll become fluent. That’s always been a goal of mine.
7. Guidebooks: yay or nay?
I don’t own any, but I think they can be helpful. I kind of prefer using travel blogs as guidebooks instead, though. It’s good to get the personal opinions and insights as well as straight facts.
8. What advice would you give to new bloggers?
Just be you!
9. Do you have a favourite musical?
Hmmmm….Sound of Music, I suppose. Or Phantom of the Opera.
10. What is your favourite word?
Moot! (I just got really excited. There are so few occasions that I get to say “moot”)
11. Share your ultimate travel tip.
Oh boy, this one is gonna take some thought. Since I haven’t traveled much outside the US, I don’t feel like I have any earth-shattering things to say here. I guess just don’t forget to be flexible. Things don’t always go as planned, but you can still enjoy the journey, wherever it may take you.
John and Katie’s RV Honeymoon: these two are on an extended honeymoon all across the US and have so many adventures to share
Slovenian Girl Abroad: currently living in Switzerland and recounting her travels all over Europe
Mrs Ayla’s Adventures: road trip tips and travel adventures
Adventure 69° North: beautiful photos of beautiful places!
The Wanderlust Keeper: adventures in the Philippines and beyond
Six Year Gap Year: tips for traveling solo and on a budget
Another Walk in the Park: Meghan, her adorable dog, and lots of hikes
Hike Snobs: these girls tell it like it is and are a wealth of information on the ins and outs of every hike
Writes of Passage: stunning photos – her blog will make everyone want to spend time exploring British Columbia
Adventures of Five: travels around the US, but mostly Hawaii – so many beautiful photos of Hawaii
Weekend Campervanning: hiking, camping, and – most recently – a delicious recipe for pumpkin cinnamon rolls!
Questions for my nominees:
- What is your favorite place you’ve ever been?
- What is your earliest memory?
- Favorite food?
- I’m very movie deprived. What would be your #1 movie rec for me?
- Trains, planes, or automobiles?
- What was your most awkward moment (that you feel comfortable sharing)?
- Favorite subject in school?
- Coffee or tea?
- What is your most irrational fear? For example (and for laughs, I’m sure): I’m terrified of a port-a-potty tipping over while I’m locked inside of it
- How many countries have you visited?
- What is one important lesson you’ve learned in your travels?